Flared Gingers

Disclaimer: I was given this pattern as a "thank you" for testing it.

What: Ginger Jeans by Closet Case Patterns
Size cut: I cut view B in size 8 and size 6 back pockets
Materials used: 98% cotton, 2% elastane denim; 94% cotton, 6% elastane shirting for pocket bags; knit fusible.

I lowered the waist at the front by 2,5cm and 2cm in the back. At the back I took 1cm out from the top of the yoke and another centimeter from the top of the back piece. 
I flared the legs out as much as I could so the pattern pieces would fit on my denim. I'd call these more of a "moderate" flare. I think I would have gone even wider with them... but then I'd be sweeping the streets of my hometown!

I lined the back yokes with the same fabric I used for the pocket bags. I simply sandwitcehd the back leg between the yoke and lining when attaching the yokes, presses the seam allowances towards the waist and topstitched the seams. The seat seam is flatfelled.
I hand sewed the keyhole buttonhole.


I kept the original shape of the back pockets. For me it's Ginger's "signature". I quite like the "plain" pockets on the back. 
I still can't believe that my old "abused" Brother managed to sew almost OK bartacks. It messed up only few of them!


I changed pocket bags for a pocket stay. I've discovered that that's the best way to go when sewing real tight pants and jeans. It keeps the pocket in it's place and the pocket bag wont crawl out when it pleases.


As great as those jeans look, there is a slight problem. THE DAMN FABRIC STERTCEHS OUT SO BAD! I mean, when you touch it and test the recovery of it in your hands, it's all swell! Sadly the reality is not :(
I will wear them still. I love them so! But no sitting in them. Which is good, I look best when standing up anyways ;)


11 comments :

  1. Wow, it's perfect! Love all those incredibly neat seams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Superb! You have inspired me, and I like the pocket stays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may just be my favorite pair of Gingers! So sad that your fabric stinks! That's one of my biggest frustrations when garment sewing - some fabric just doesn't behave like it ought to - but there's no way of knowing until you've invested time and $$ : /
    just keep standing.... Tracy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Since the fabric was already prewashed and reeked of chemicals, I should have known better...But now I do and will try and stay from buying something that smells LOL

      Delete
  4. These are awesome! Beautifully made! I want to make a flared pair now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pleasure to look at something so well fitted and so neatly sewn. By the way, where do you buy your denim around here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I buy most of my denim at Abakhan on Tartu mnt. in the "fabric by weight" section. Have gotten real lucky few times!

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! When I (eventually) make my gingers I hope they look half as good as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look great - you did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete