DIY gift bag that can be used over and over again.



 For some odd reason I always buy more fabric then I actually need for a sewing project, and have tens of centimeters fabric left over at the end of a project. I almost never throw that scrap fabric out, I store it in a huge ass box for "just in case I will use it for something". Of course I almost never do.

So with Christmas approaching with speed of light I found my self standing at the gift paper/wrapping section in the mall. All those pretty papers with lovely prints and the colorful shiny ribbons, meant to bring a moment of joy on the Christmas morning. Kind of sad that all that beauty will end up in a trashcan after Christmas...So wasteful in my opinion.

And so I decided to make my own gift bags that can be used again as a gift bag or a book bag, or to bring toys for your kids to a play-date. For whatever purpose the person to receive the gift might want to use it.

PS all the measurements are in metric



Materials you will need: -fabric leftovers to make the bag it self (if you don't have any fabric leftovers,
                                      get some new fabric for the bag. I used about 45cm of 150cm wide fabric to
                                      make my bigger bag)
                                    -lace, ribbons, buttons, etc. for decorations

 Step 1: Get something for the size reference. If you already have the gift, use it for getting the bag size right.
Fold the fabric in two so that you are left with some space for depth, with and height of the gift.
I used an old Vogue to measure out my bag. I'll be gifting some books in it ;) and I figured that size will be great. I added 5cm on both sides and at the bottom, and 7 cm at the top.
When you are done measuring, cut the needed piece out.
Or you can do a little math:
With of the bag piece= with + depth + 2x seam allowance
Height of the bag piece= 2x(height + depth + 5cm)

Step 2: Cut two rectangles (10cm by 48cm) for the bag handles.
Step 3: Iron the bag handle pieces first in half, then fold the raw edges to meet at the crease. Iron the handles once more.
Step 4: Choose your decorations. Use what ever tickles your fancy. PS you can customize the bag to the receivers likings ;)

Step 5: Measure out 5 cm from the top of the bag (on both sides), mark it.
Measure out where your decorations are going to go. I decorated both sides of the bag.
Pin the decorations in place. Check that they are at same height on both sides.
Sew the decorations. If needed iron after sewing.

Step 6: Fold the bag piece in two, so that the outside of the bag is facing you. make sure that the decorations match up. pin the sides.
Sew the sides with 0,7 cm. Iron the seams.
Turn the bag inside out. (Right sides of the bag are now facing each other.)
Iron the edges/seams.

Step 7: Sew the sides once more, leaving a 1cm seam allowance.
Now your bag is nice and "clean" form the inside.
Sew the handles. Either from both sides or just from one.
Step 8: Iron back 2,5cm two times at the top of the bag.
Measure out where your handles are going to go.
Place the handles under the 2,5 seam allowance ens at the top, pin them in place.
Hem the top edge.






Step 9: fold back the handles. Sew them as shown on the picture.
















Step 10: Miter bottom corners.
Fold the bag so that the side seam and the crease at the bottom are stacked on top of one another. Pin it if needed.
Sew across the corner, keeping the new seam perpendicular to the existing seam.
Repeat on the other corner.
Turn the bag right side out. Iron it once more if needed. Cut away all hanging threads and what not.
And you are done! 









No comments:

Post a Comment